Is the game too easy?
  • pipi
    Administrator
    I see that most of you finish the game pretty quick. Do you think it is too easy? Are there too many opportunities to get more health or are the enemies too easy to beat?

If you have any opinions and/or suggestions about how to tune the difficulty, this is the thread to post them!
    Co-Founder
    @martinpi
  • CaseyColoradoCaseyColorado
    Open Alpha Player

Personally, I'd look to the slivers to add challenge.  Right now, I can play through the game without ever searching except in the tutorial.  They show up everywhere, so I'm never running low.  If you make them sparser and harder to find, it would force us to explore more and spend more time in the corners of the world to find the hidden stashes.

But that's just me -- I generally prefer the exploration and problem-solving mechanics to the try-not-to-die mechanic.  I feel like if I died much more, I'd start getting annoyed at having to go back to the spawn point, while I actively enjoy poking around looking for secret passages.  Other people may feel differently.

• pipi
    Administrator
    This is actually what we were thinking too. We're changing the distribution of slivers and introducing a new extra life mechanics. We've also added a new gameplay layer that further rewards exploration: you maintain a collection of runes and completionists will hopefully want to collect all of them.
    Co-Founder
    @martinpi
  • thatlaurachickthatlaurachick
    Open Alpha Player
    Honestly, the game is too hard now.  Not only do you have to keep alive, and often I've had to abandon puzzles because I couldn't keep Fink alive long enough to finish them - now if I fly back to the starting area to save the game, because not everyone is in college and can sit down for however long and play until they finish - ALL MY SHARDS ARE GONE
    Really?  Guys, I love you and I did love this game.  But not anymore.  In fact, I'm really regretting that I got all my friends to back the game, since I know none of them will enjoy playing it in the current incarnation.

It's fine if you want to make challenging games, but you're going to limit your audience to those with the time and/or skill.  At least make save points return you to a specific point in time with inventory intact.  Espeically since shard locations don't ever reset.  When is punishing the player for taking a break from the game a good thing?  It's not the 80s, and many gamers aren't kids who can sit down and restart the ENTIRE GAME every time they have to quit.
  • peterpeter
    Administrator
    Sorry that those changes are upsetting you so much! Amount of health, hearts and overall difficulty still have to be balanced though, and feedback like yours is very welcome. Thats why we are doing open alpha development, to be able to react on players feedback.

But there is also a misunderstanding which probably makes the whole dying process worse for you:
    - You don't have to fly back to the hub to save the game. Just quit via the menu or cmd-q or alt-f4 and the game saves everything as it is the moment you leave. You start exactly where you left off.
    - You can gain extra lives by collecting blue orbs, which you get by helping other animals or searching hidden areas. 100 blue orbs give an extra life, you start with 3 lives. If feedback shows that people die too often, or lose too many or don't regain enough lives we will balance this via the amount of available health and life orbs or the amount of health you lose when getting hurt.

So thanks for the feedback and keep it coming! :)
    Peter - Co-Founder, TecHead & Physics Puppeteer @ Broken Rules
    @blunzn

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID